Am I entitled to “Flexible Work Arrangements” ?

Am I entitled to “Flexible Work Arrangements” ?

Flexible working arrangements assist employees achieve balance between work and family responsibilities. These arrangements can help parents manage the demands that come with being a parent of a young child, such as picking-up and dropping-off at childcare, caring for sick children, and attending medical and other appointments. Any employee may ask their employer for flexible work arrangements, but from 1 January 2010 the Fair Work Act 2009 provides employees with a legal right to request a flexible working arrangement. To be eligible:

  • you must be the parent or carer of a child who is under school age or under 18 and has a disability and,

  • You have worked for your employer for at least 12 months on a full-time or part-time basis, or

  • you have been working as a long-term casual employee (a long-term casual employee would usually have been employed on a regular and systematic basis for at least 12 months) and have a reasonable expectation of ongoing employment.

A formal request under the Fair Work Act 2009 must be in writing and be given to your employer. Employers must seriously consider a request for flexible working arrangements but may refuse on reasonable business grounds.

Back to FAQ Page Questions
Find your branch: